At the RSB, we can help with ideas and strategies to enable you to do things as independently and safely as possible. Sometimes it is about learning to do things differently or using a low vision aid to assist with a task. RSB Occupational Therapists can provide supports under various funding streams including the National Disability Insurance Scheme, My Aged Care, Home Care Packages, DVA and Job Access.
Whether it is inside your home or outside in the garden, sometimes simple modifications such as grab rails, larger steps, magnetic door catches and better lighting can make life easier.
Occupational Therapists (OT’s) can meet with you in your home, workplace or school to discuss any challenges and can offer individualised solutions to make life easier.
We can assist with:
- Magnification to assist with reading
- Large print options for recipes and phone numbers
- Tactile marking on appliances
- Low vision aids such as talking products
- Selecting the most appropriate technology such as mobile phones and electronic magnification
- Strategies to help you complete daily tasks such as choosing clothing and cooking
- Goal directed therapy programs to learn new ways of conducting everyday activities
- Exploring assistive technology such as electronic magnification, reading machines or smart devices such as phones, tablets or technology for the home environment
- Maximising lighting within your home, workplace or school.
- Minor and major home modifications to enable you to be safer in your home environment.
OT’s can conduct Falls Risk Assessments in the home environment and work with you to minimise your risk of falls by recommending simple changes. These might involve clearing walkways, removing hazards, improving lighting or adding contrasting colours to the environment. Home modifications can also increase home safety, such as grab rails, bannister rails or ramps.
OT’s are currently registered with the National Panel of Assessors, who provide funding for worksite assessments through Job Access. OT’s can assess your workplace environment and equipment and make appropriate recommendations to assist you with completing tasks associated with your job. OT’s can also work with RSB Employment Services to assess your workplace environment and suggest lighting options and appropriate technology. Please contact us if you are worried about losing your job due to your declining vision or if you are starting a new job.
Contact Us to find out how we can assist.